Friday, May 21, 2010

My Journey

Fitness. Nutrition. No two words make me happier. They are my passion and my heart. I've taken every step I can to make them a part of my life, and a part of others'. I was a dancer, a marathon runner, a yoga and Pilates practitioner, a weight lifter, a spinner, and a super healthy eater. I was happy and healthy. Three years ago, I was finishing up two Master's degrees and had pushed my body and my energy to the max. I was a super strong spirit, and respected my body and health, however, something still went wrong. I gained 15 pounds on my petite frame, my face and body became puffy, my thoughts became foggy, and I was tired. No more late nights studying, no more ensuring I was 100% prepared for my exams, presentations, and work, and a month before I was preparing to run my 4th marathon, I developed asthma. It was at this point my body and spirit started breaking down; the two things I thought were my strongest allies. Over the following months my mood changed, I was anxious, unhappy, and indecisive. I became unsocial and isolated myself from friends and colleagues. I would have to nap during the day, I couldn't speak clearly or articulate my thoughts, and I developed the most horrible muscular pain that I had to stop exercising. Over the course of 2 years, I had developed food sensitivities to almost everything except for meat and vegetables, I felt like I had a swarm of bees flying around in my head at all times, I was always nervous, and I lost all energy and passion that I had ever had.

After Autoimmune Disease, Fibromyalgia, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and about 6 six additional diagnoses, I still wasn't feeling relief and hadn't received the answers I was looking for. I was frustrated that I couldn't fix myself, if anyone could, it should be me. So, here's where it all began. I studied, and studied, and did certification after certification in holistic nutrition and functional medicine, and was able to provide myself with some relief. I began to unravel the pieces and find answers to WHY this was all happening. I wasn't interested in the name of what I had, or the diagnosis. That wasn't what was going to get me better. I had to find the root cause; I wanted to know why I had certain symptoms and diseases, because that's how I was going to get better.

Through this journey I have come to know the body better than I ever thought possible. And I am not so naive to think that something as "simple" as an equation can tell us how much we should be eating and how hard we should be exercising. The body is much too smart and complex for this. And it is even more important to realize just how different each of us are. What may be causing symptoms for me, may not be what's causing symptoms for you, and what works for me may not be what works for you.

If you stop at the symptoms without searching for the cause, you will never reach your true potential. Dig deeper, and stop counting calories! It's the road to feeling and looking your best, I promise!

No comments:

Followers